Sunday, February 26, 2012

On a roll...

Training

This past week was pretty great training wise.

If you remember, my last post had my upcoming week as follows...

Tues: Team Swim in the am, Track work out Tues night (Did both!)
Wed: Solo run 35-40 minutes (Coach said Wed should be recovery if we do the Tuesday track so I skipped this)
Thur: Solo swim (Did it - at 5:00am)
Fri: Rest (definitely did this!)
Sat: Team Training: 17 mile bike followed by a 10 minute run (Did it. But make that a 19 mile ride. In rain and wind)
Sun: Solo run 35-40 minutes (Tempo -5 sec) (Just finished out 35 minutes in a tempo -10sec).

I MAY go for a short swim later today but it just depends on how I'm feeling. I have a feeling I may end up on the couch after I hit up JD Pence (swim store) for a buoy.

Fundraising
This week was also super on the fundraising side of things. Once the check I sent it yesterday posts to my account I will have broken the $2,000 mark!! You guys are phenomenal!! I seriously can't believe it how generous and supportive all my friends and family have been.

Inspiration
I want share a story with you on why I do what I do. Why I train and most importantly why I fundraise. A few weeks ago at one of our clinics we had the chance to meet and hear from a family who has been impacted by blood cancers. Little Alex was diagnosed with T Cell Lymphoma at 3 1/2 years old. Two long years later Alex had his last dose of chemotherapy for the lymphoma. The family celebrated. They could begin life after cancer now.

Only 5 months later Alex was diagnosed with B Cell Leukemia. This wasn't the same cancer coming back. It was completely different. That's a good thing since it means he had successfully beat the Lymphoma. This new cancer was unrelated OR it could have been caused by the chemotherapy he took to fight the first cancer. Really? Cancer fighting drugs CAUSING cancer? I had no idea that could happen but it does.

I want there to be a day when our cancer fighting drugs do not cause cancer. I want there to be a day when a 6 year old boy is not fighting for his life for a SECOND time.

Click here to read more about Alex's Battle.

That is why I do what I do.

No comments: