Sunday, May 25, 2008

First Training Update!


Our first official training date was last Saturday (May 17). The team met on Sauvie Island at 9am and it was already over 70 degrees. It was a scorcher of a day! I had liberally applied sunblock everywhere but still managed to get a bit of a burn. Coach Becky went over some typical road rules with us and we were on our way at about 9:45. The plan was to do a 12 miles loop through the island with an option 3 mile extension for those that wanted to complete 15 miles. Since I typically already do 15-20 miles every weekend that was a no brainer for me!

The ride was great. We started out a bit slow as many were getting used to the road and the bikes. Sauvie Island is really pretty filled with farms, lamas and views of Mount St. Helen’s. We picked up the pace a little in the middle which was great because I was getting a little antsy. I’m have to keep reminding myself though that a slow pace will needed as the miles get up there.

We finished up the 15 miles (actually 15.5) in 1:05 so that’s a pace of 14mph. Not too bad. I was so pumped up though that I really wanted to do the 12 mile loop again. Alas, French toast, bacon and eggs were awaiting me at Fat Albert’s breakfast cafĂ©. Poor Michele, huh?

On Sunday I decided to head back to Sauvie Island to do that loop again but headed out one road for a longer extension and ended up completing 20.2 miles. I’ve never spent much time out there so it was fun to explore it by bike.

On Wednesday we had an optional coach led ride after work. The plan was to meet north of OMSI and head out the Springwater Corridor as far as we could get in 30 minutes then head back. It was a rainy gloomy day and only 4 people (including the coach) showed up. We got rained on the first 10 minutes but then it let up and we had a great ride. Funny enough, the turn around spot was only 1.5 miles from my house. We clocked 15.5 miles that night.

Yesterday was our second Saturday training. The team met on Marine drive and headed west toward Blue Lake Park. Thought we were going to get rained on but 10 minutes into the ride, the skies cleared and it was gorgeous and sunny. It was fantastic riding along the Columbia with the sun glistening off the water. On the way out to the park I was really booking it. I thought – hot dang! I’m like Wonder Woman clocking a 16.1 mph average. Okay, for experienced riders that may not be much but for me it was! At the Park the few people I was riding with stopped for a bathroom break then we headed back. THAT is when I realized why I thought I was Wonder Woman. I had a tailwind the ride out there which meant I had a headwind the entire ride back. Oops. So that awesome average dropped to 14.7mph by the end of the 20.3 mile ride. That's okay - it was a fantastic ride and I can't wait until the next ride.

Wonder Woman:

No comments: