Saturday, August 16, 2008

Quickie update

Hot, hot, hot!! We are currently working on our THIRD 100+ day in a row here in Portland. It's freaking ridiculous. I decided to think of my health and skip our 68 mile ride today. I know me and I know my body - it shuts down in heat. Yes, it would have "only" been about 91 degrees by the time I finished but that's too hot for me. I would have ended up with heat stroke. Afterall, on our last 100+ day of riding I couldn't even finish 45. You think I could last for 68? No.

But don't worry by dear supporters... I'll still get my ride in this weekend. Tomorrow should top out around 92. Still hot, but more doable for me. My coach gave us the option of riding with her tomorrow when she scopes out our ride for next weekend - a 70 miler which will include our 50 miles up to Estacada with a 20 mile extension along the way. According to the hour-by-hour forecast it will only be 78 at 1pm tomorrow vs the 91 at 1pm today.

Since my last update we had another 50 mile ride around the Hagg Lake area and a 62 miler last weekend down in Salem. Each week my average speed is increasing and I'm feeling stronger and stronger. I really think I can do this!! I've had time when I had my doubts but lately those have been dwindling.

If you want to see some pics from the last two rides check them out on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdxmichele/collections/72157606267073957/

1 comment:

Lindarx said...

Great pics, Michele!!!

I am looking forward to your next entry after your ride in the hills this Saturday!